Thursday, August 24, 2006

a few odds and ends.

There are many things I have not discussed. So, I am going to make a short list of some of the things that I feel are important to share. Sorry for the sparse detail....let me know if you want elaboration.



1) The Old Summer Palace: After a long day of classes and teaching, I headed to the Old Summer Palace (in Beijing). Please do not confuse this with THE Summer Palace. The Old Summer Palace consists of ruins and beautiful, ancient Chinese Gardens. It was nice to escape the smog of the city and meander through the beautiful, lush gardens. Moreover, I bought a beautiful Chinese painting; it is a large scroll of red chrysanthemum flowers with gold flecks and warm hints of jade. B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L.



2) The Karaoke Bar: No, this is not like a bar at all. You go into a little room with your friends and choose from an endless list of songs and sing the afternoon away. No alcohol is involved...just lots of food and two hours of Chinese and American pop music! Elle and Dan (two of my students from the adult class) took me to the Karaoke bar. This is where I learned why Dan kept falling asleep in my class....apparently he spent many late nights singing with his friends.

























3) The Train Station: The hardest part of my 29 hour train ride was the 5 hour wait in the train station:



However, we managed to keep smiling:


4) The 29 hour Train Ride: It wasn't that bad. Well, it was wonderful until the second night when some buffoons decided to drink themselves senseless and lost all respect for the few of us who wanted to sleep. I will admit, however, the 5 am wake-up call and massive hangovers served as fitting punishments for their crimes. On a serious note, Gary and I enjoyed many card games, rest, and the beautiful Chinese countryside.


Picture 1: Our friends, Amanda and Ramone Playing Chess.









Picture 2: The countryside











No comments: