Tuesday, August 15, 2006

baijiu, cheers, and disco.

On Sunday night, my students treated all of their teachers to dinner at a traditional Sizhuan restaurant in Ho Hai (it's a famous bar street*). The spread was beautiful. It was a feast fit for imperials. My plate was never empty and glass never drained. It seemed as though when I finished one thing my Chinese friend, Dan, would place more items on my plate. I learned on Sunday that the one thing I must get accustomed to in China is understanding the balance between respect and kindly declining a request. When attending a celebratory dinner in China, one must learn how to control his eating patterns, because once a plate is empty, another heaping portion comes along....sometimes to the utter dismay of bulging stomachs.


In my opinion, however, the food was not the most important part of dinner....it was the celebration on one another, our achievements, our friendship, and yes...the beautiful toasts and shots of baijiu. Baijiu....no need for a lengthy description; traditional Chinese rice wine speaks for itself: it is 55% proof. If you have ever sipped on grappa, you can understand the sensations this drink creates. This wine is poured in tiny shot glasses and is either delicately sipped or taken as a shot.

After our three-hour feast, our students decided that we should continue our celebrations at a local disco. The Chinese "discos" are like our dance clubs in America; however, it is important to note that the Chinese go to these clubs simply to enjoy dancing. Everyone dances together...boys with boys...girls with girls.....boys with girls....one does not have to worry that others possess ulterior motives. For example, our small group started a line-dance during the middle of pounding techno song. Although I love to dance, I can't stand the sexual atmosphere in American clubs, so this was a special treat for me. It is the most fun I have had in a long time.

*No, not drinking bars. "Bars" are restaurants.

Picture 1: The Feast

Picture 2: David, Gary, and Baijiu

Picture 3: Gary, Elle, Allen, and Leslie-Ann



1 comment:

Judy and Crew said...

Love the pictures but they're making me HUNGRY! Yum!