Thursday, August 24, 2006

bao'an senior high school.

Yesterday (22 August 2006) was the official start to my year in China. At 9:30 am, all of the teachers gathered into the hotel conference room and met their coordinating teachers. Each teacher was greeted with a magnificent flower arrangement, smiles, and handshakes. After the contract signing ceremony, we enjoyed a traditional southern Chinese celebratory lunch in our honor. Soon afterward we were whisked away to our new schools.

The high school where Gary and I are teaching is located about forty-five minutes away from the city center. I am enjoying the school's rural setting as I am surrounded by beautiful gardens, small mountains, and blue sky. Although most teachers requested an urban setting, I am so happy to have escaped the noises and pollution of the city. I feel at home here.


My school, Bao'an Senior High, is outstanding. This public boarding schools houses about 2,000 students and more than 200 teachers. From what I have seen, its facilities are technologically up to date and the school offers almost every learning advantage a child and/or teacher could hope for (astronomical phenomena room, interactive eco-system display, endless supplies for teachers, etc.). I am reminded of a tiny college (High Point University) every time I traverse the small campus.

My accommodations have exceeded my expectations. At first, I was a bit dismayed about my living conditions as my room and bathroom were filthy. However, the school sent in a tiny

cleaning crew who meticulously scrubbed my bathroom clean. After meeting the headmaster and vice-headmaster, whom I adore, Gary and I were taken on a tour of the school and given anything we needed (cleaning supplies, towels, cups, toilet paper, etc.). This school attempts to provide anything its teachers need at any time; it is unlike anything I have ever witnessed in a public school in the states.

I have attached pictures of my apartment and bathroom (yes, my bathroom is located outside on a patio); although modest by American standards, I find it fits my needs perfectly.




Although I have experienced the different stages of culture shock, I try my best to be grateful and constantly remind myself of how blessed I am to be teaching at such a superb school in one of the world's greatest countries. Interestingly enough, before I departed from the states, I received a book from one of my professors. It is a biography of Freya Stark—an intrepid world traveler, renowned writer, and fearsome intellect. As I was reading one of the passages the evening before I was to move into my school, I came across a passage that summed up all of my feelings and denounced all of my doubts:

[Freya said] when people later asked why she undertook her difficult journeys that she sought the mastery obtained by “the disregard of hardships. The essence is whether they are voluntary or involuntary. To be given a cold bath is not a merit in itself; to take one voluntarily is quite a different matter.

I am looking forward to everything this year has to offer...its rewards and hardships. The only doubt I have is that I will want to return to the states.


No comments: