Monday, September 04, 2006

gary goes to the hair salon.


Gary was in desperate need of a haircut. So, yesterday afternoon we crossed the Xin Wei Lu (Lu= Road) into the exotic zone of "Nationals Land"...well, this is what I call it...every time we enter this plaza/market area, we are the only foreigners....stares, whispers, and the occasional "Hello, Guila" (I think this is the right spelling...I detest this word due to its etymology: white devil) quickly follow our inconspiuous entrance into this area. Unlike the rest of Shenzhen, when I enter this zone I always feel like I am in a rural area of China...where a white face, blue eyes, and blond hair are illusory images.


Anyway, Gary chose a tiny barber shop, sat down in the chair, pulled out his camera, displayed a photograph, and told the hair dresser: wo yao zhei ge (I want this one). After an hour of trimming, buzzing, and a shampoo, Gary was a happy boy with a sassy hairstyle. He admits, though, that most of his glee stemmed from the fact that his day of beauty came to a grand total of five kuai (63 cents).

No comments: