Thursday, March 15, 2007

two grotesque absurdities.

I started thinking last night about two things I really detest:

1) The Reality TV show Survivor
2) Eating Contests

Let's begin with the first grotesque American absurdity. Here is a show that hires intelligent adults to betray all human decency and battle "the elements" using perverted animalisitic techniques. The show thrives off dramatic elements inspired by dishonest, cruel, backstabbing, spiteful, tyrannical, vicious behavior. And the catch? You can earn a whole million dollars. That's special--encouraging the cultured to become boorish for mere financial gain. The show reeks of crude Romanesque qualities: throwing the gladiators into the pit so we can watch the mutilation from the comfort of our couches.

And the challenges? Don't even bother commenting on my blog about this. They are an idiotic waste. A challenge is finding the cure for cancer. Climbing on poles, swimming in the sea, and eating bugs is not a challenge--it is inanity.

Number two: Food eating contests. How--when so many people are starving--do we condone such grotesque gluttony for fun? It is sick. I will never participate in or excuse such vulgar things.

I don't really care if this entry sounds condescending or judgemental. It is my opinion that we play in our politically-correct play-pens far too often. If we don't judge and change the bad aspects of our culture, it will disintegrate.

2 comments:

Ty said...

I have to say that I left out loud the entire time I read this post. I agree, but your voice came straight through your writing making me feel as if you were in the room with me. So funny!

Judy and Crew said...

Ditto! Funny, Ty, we can hear her thousands of miles away! lol!