Saturday, June 16, 2007

in between.

My job has ended and my flight is set for July 20th. I've landed in the lovely "in between":

In between jobs
In between countries
In between incongruent time frames
In between sadness and happiness

In between.

So, Gary and I are are going to travel for a month.

Destination 1:
We will fly to Chengdu tomorrow. Here I will achieve my life-long dream: holding a panda.

Destination 2:
On the 12st, we will fly to Tibet. I am extremely excited about this trip as it is physically daunting and intellectually stimulating. We decided to forgo expensive tours and attempt the eight day journey to Everest by ourselves. After spending three days in Lhasa, we will take a bus to Shigatse. We will hire a tour guide and begin a three day/40km trek from Shalu Monastery to Nartang Monastery. At the end of our trek, we will hire a Land Cruiser and driver to transport us to Rongphu Monastery. At this point, we will being another 2 hour trek to Everest Base Camp. After spending the night at EBC, we will descend back to Lhasa.

Destination 3:
Gary and I have decided to forgo planning this part of our adventure. From Lhasa, we will endure a 24 hour, hard sleeper bus ride to Golmud in Qinghai Province. At this point we will see what destinations are offered at Golmud's bus station, pick one, and begin province hopping. Technically, we are going to get on buses and trains and see where they take us. I am going to enjoy China as it should be enjoyed--through unplanned steps and an open-mind. We will return to Shenzhen on the 15th, see a few friends, and head to Guangzhou on the 19th.

The 20th will come far too soon.

Gary and I will blog about our travels after we arrive home.........until then, 再见!

No comments: