Thursday, May 17, 2007

the philippines.

Gary and I traveled to the Philippines for the Chinese Labor Day holiday. We spent our first night in Manila and flew directly to Palawan Province the next day. We spent six glorious days in El Nido and Puerto Princessa. We snorkeled, enjoyed sea kayaking, went rock climbing, visited the subterranean river, and met many interesting people. A place like this helps bring a new understanding to the idea of watching God, as it is so accurately portrayed in Zora Neale Hurston's famous novel.

The view from the top of a cliff in El Nido

I exchange a piece of my heart every time I take a trip, meet a new person, or learn new things. A piece of me is scattered in every country, province, district, and city I have visited in southeast Asia. How hard it will be to return in July......

Children playing on a beach in El Nido

The thought makes me ache.

"What is the good of your stars and trees, your sunrise and the wind, if they do not enter into our daily lives?"
E.M. Forster, Howards End

Want to see more pictures? Visit Gary's photo page

Drinking fresh coconut juice in Puerto Princessa.

No comments: