Thursday, October 19, 2006

innocence.

Yesterday, Eleven (one of my students) approached me. He had quite a dilemma. Apparently my brother, Garreth--Eleven's pen-pal--posed some questions concerning his current "relationship". Eleven was perplexed: he desperately wanted to help Garreth...answer his questions....ease his mind. Although distraught, Eleven confided in me...told me his problem:

"I never have girlfriend. I know nothing about girls. I cannot help your brother. I just do not know what to say. Please keep this our secret."

Humored, I helped erase Eleven's doubts and concerns (after all, I hardly understand my own gender). I smiled, put my hand on his shoulder, and asked him if he would like to play a game outside. Half a millisecond--doubts gone--a smile emerges--"I love outside! I love the weather!"

Welcome back to the age of innocence....

where girls still giggle--they don't gossip, hold hands--not each other's purses, shop for pretty hair barrettes--not make-up, and cry because a girlfriend--not a boyfriend--hurt their feelings.

where boys trip one another between class to impress other boys--not girls, sit together at lunch and discuss soccer--instead of girls, and worry about their academics--not girls.

where all children are mischievous.....never malicious.

This is one of my favorite things about China: children are still children....even in high school.

These children bring warmth and happiness to my day...much like my AP students did.

They are beautiful and sweet and innocent...............

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a place where I will manage to stay out of jail for about 5 minutes... :-D

I'd probably like it though, I love children (children, not psychotic teenagers). For some reason children in Germany are impossible brats most of the time... I'll start promoting school camps in China - maybe they'll learn some discipline there ;-)

Take care babe!